The Town of Troy New Hampshire

Heart of the Monadnock Region

Code Enforcement

The Town of Troy currently contracts with an individual to perform code enforcement on an as needed basis. 
The staff at Town Hall will contact the Code Enforcement Officer if a situation requires it. 
For Troy's Zoning Ordinance, click here
For the General Construction and Development Ordinance, click here.
For other Town forms, click here
Please contact the Selectmen's Office at 603-242-7722 or email with any code questions 
No land shall be occupied or used and no building hereafter erected or altered or moved shall be occupied or used on whole or part for any purpose until a Certificate of Occupancy has been issued by the Board of Selectmen, stating that the land or building complies with all the provisions of these regulations. Such a certificate is required for any change or extension of use. The Certificate of Occupancy may be applied for at the same time as the building permit or thereafter, and if approved shall be issued within ten (10) days’ notification by the permittee that the land or building is ready for occupancy. This regulation shall not affect the moving of a portable accessory building within the boundaries of the lot on which it is situated. A record of all certificates shall be kept on file and copies shall be furnished upon request to any person having a proprietary or tenancy interest in the land or building affected for a fee of two dollars ($2.00) for each original certificate and one dollar ($1.00) for each copy.  ENFORCEMENT: Upon any well-informed information that this ordinance is being violated, the Selectmen shall take immediate steps to enforce the provisions of this ordinance by seeking an injunction in the Superior Court or by any other legal action.  PENALTIES: Every person, firm or corporation violating any of the provisions of the ordinance shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $100 for each day such violation may exist.  
It shall be unlawful to erect and use any structure, alter the size of any existing building, remove or demolish any existing structure or relocate any building in any district within the Town of Troy without first obtaining a building permit from the Board of Selectmen or their agent, unless such structure is less than two hundred (200) square feet and serves as an accessory use to an existing residence. The Selectmen or their agent shall issue any and all building permits requested when such building permit is in accordance with the provisions of this ordinance. No building permit shall be issued for any building unless the street upon which the lot has actual frontage corresponds with the requirements of RSA 674:41. REMODELING: No building permit shall be required for remodeling or repairing where the purpose or the initially approved or perceived exterior facade or visual theme for which the building or structure is to be used is not changed, or the building is not enlarged or the use extended or the number of dwelling units is not increased.